Cheryl Burke is a popular American dancer, TV host, and actress. She got her name and fame after participating in and winning the “Dancing with the Stars” program on American Broadcasting Network. She became the first female contestant to win the show.
In 2006, Cheryl made her television debut as a professional dancer on ABC’s Dancing with the Stars. She quickly became a fan favorite because of her great dancing skills and charming personality.
|Real Name||Cheryl Burke|
|Also Known As||Cheryl Stephanie Burke|
|Profession||Dancer, TV Host|
|Date of Birth||03 May 1984|
|Age (as of 2022)||38 years|
|Hometown||San Francisco, California, United States|
|School||Menlo-Atherton High School, California|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 163 cm
in meters– 1.63 m
in feet inches– 5’4″
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms– 55 kg
in pounds– 121 lbs
|Debut Show||Dancing With The Stars |
|Relationships & Affairs|
|Husband||Matthew Lawrence [m. 2019–2022]|
|Parents||Father– Stephen Louis Burke
Mother– Sherrie Bautista Burke
|Siblings||Sisters– Nicole Wolf & Mandy Wolf|
|Net Worth [approx.]||$3 million|
Early Life & Childhood
Cheryl was born on 3rd May 1984, in San Francisco, California. She was introduced to the world of dance at a very young age of 4. When Cheryl was just four years old, her mother enrolled her in a ballet dance class.
In her autobiography, she revealed at the age of 5 years she was molested by the handyman that would often come to their house. Later she testified against him and got him behind the bars for 24 years.
In 2018, Cheryl opened up about her struggles with anxiety and depression. She revealed that she had been dealing with anxiety since she was a child, but it wasn’t until 2016 that she was properly diagnosed. Since then, she’s been working hard to manage her condition.
Family, Parents, & Siblings
Cheryl’s father Stephen Burke was born in Russia but raised in Ireland the other hand her mother Sherrie Bautista was from the Philippines. So she inherited Russian Irish Filipino descent from her parents.
Cheryl has 2 sisters Nicole Wolf and Mandy Wolf, though Mandy is her step-sister. She is very close to both her sisters and likes to spend time together.
Cheryl Burke enjoys spending time with family and friends when she’s not busy dancing or modeling. She is especially close to her parents and sister Nicole.
Nicole is an accomplished dancer in her own right. Nicole often appears on Cheryl’s Instagram page cheering her on during Dancing with the Stars competitions.
Cheryl completed her schooling at Menlo Atherton High School in Atherton, California. She learned a variety of dance styles, including ballet, tap, and jazz from a very tender age.
Cheryl Burke’s Career
Cheryl started dance training at a very young age 5 years. Soon she began competing in national and international dance competitions.
In 2005, she won the World Cup Professional Rising Star Latin Championship. The same year, she made history by winning another two World Championship titles, San Francisco Latin Champion and Ohio Star Ball Rising Star Latin Champion.
After winning the World Championship title, Cheryl Burke cemented her place as one of the world’s most sought-after dancers.
Burle rose to fame as she joined the “Dancing with the Stars” program on ABC in 2007. She became the first woman to win a season in the program.
She won the 2nd season with celebrity partner Drew Lachey (An American Actor and Singer) in the winter of 2006. She kept her winning streak by beating the 3rd season and 2 seasons in a row in Fall 2006. Her partner in the 3rd season was Emmit Smith (An American Ex Football Player).
She also won 2 consecutive seasons of Dancing With The Stars (2nd and 3rd Season).
She participated in a total of 24 seasons of the Program, won 2, and became runners-up in 2 seasons.
Besides Dancing with the stars, Cheryl competed in “I Can Do That” (A Entertainment TV series on NBC) in 2015. She became the runner-up in the show.
In addition to Dancing with the Stars, Cheryl has also appeared in a number of other television shows and movies. She had a small role in the Disney Channel Series “The Suite Life of Zack & Cody”.
Relationship, Husband & Children
Cheryl married American actor and singer Matthew Lawrence in 2019. The couple met in 2007 while working on the sets of Dancing with The stars. They dated for ten years before getting married in 2019.
Three years later, they filed for divorce and got separated. Cheryl does not have any children from her relationship with Mathew Lawrence.
Awards & Recognitions
Throughout her career, Cheryl Burke has received numerous awards and accolades. In 2005, she won the World Cup Professional Rising Star Latin Championship. In 2005 she won another two world championship titles, San Francisco Latin Championship and Ohio Star Ball Rising Star Latin Championship.
In 2006, Cheryl won the Best Choreography award at the PrimeTime Emmy Awards. In 2007 she was conferred with the Role Model Award at the 7th Annual Filipino/American Library Gala.
In 2008, Cheryl Burke won the Viewer’s Choice award for Favorite T.V. Personality at the Asian Excellence Awards.
Cheryl Burke’s net worth is estimated to be $3 million. Her earning source includes Participation in reality dance shows, Television series, world Dance competitions, Film roles, etc. Her net worth also includes earnings from a dance studio and sales of the activewear brand she owns by her name.
Interesting Facts about Cheryl Burke
- In addition to her work as a professional dancer and television personality, Cheryl Burke has also ventured into the world of fashion. She launched an activewear brand under her name “Cheryl Burke Collection” in 2009.
- She started a dance studio in 2008 that trains students in various forms of dancing starting from Pop to Salsa.
- She has taken an avid interest in raising funds for underprivileged children along with the participation of brands like Depend Silhouette briefs, Impress Nails, and Sargento Cheese.
- Cheryl is currently divorced and living single in her apartment in California.
- She has written her autobiography named “Dancing Lessons” and launched it in 2011.
- She launched her new iHeart Radio Podcast Series in the name of Burke in the Game.
- Cheryl is also planning to return to her old show Dancing with the Stars as it is moving from ABC to Disney+.
- Cheryl has also graced the cover of several magazines, including Shape (2010), Fitness (2011), and Self (2012).
- In 2015, she was named one of People magazine’s “Most Beautiful People.”
- Cheryl suffers from a Unique tendon disorder called Tendinitis. She occasionally suffers from a lot of pain and swelling.
- She practices Yoga and Meditation regularly and, according to her, meditating has helped her keep calm and composed during difficult times (aiming at her divorce from Matthew Lawrence).
- Cheryl had a guest appearance as a VIP Guest diner in the show Hell’s Kitchen.