Palak paneer recipe
Palak Paneer is a popular North Indian dish made with spinach and paneer (Indian cottage cheese). Here is a simple recipe:
- 1 lb spinach, washed and chopped
- 1 cup paneer, cubed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch ginger, minced
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- Salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup water
- Heat butter in a pan and add cumin seeds.
- Add onion, garlic, and ginger and sauté until onion turns golden brown.
- Add tomatoes and sauté until they become soft.
- Add cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, and red chili powder and sauté for a minute.
- Add spinach and sauté until it wilts.
- Add water and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add cubed paneer and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add cream and stir well.
- Serve hot with rice or roti.
Note: You can also blend the spinach and tomato mixture to make the gravy smooth.
Table of Contents
Is eating palak paneer healthy?
Eating Palak paneer can be a healthy option as it is a dish made with spinach (palak) and paneer (cottage cheese), which are both nutritious foods. Spinach is a great source of vitamins A, C, and K, as well as iron and other minerals.
Paneer is a good source of protein and calcium. However, it’s important to note that the overall healthiness of the dish depends on how it is prepared. It may be high in calories and fat if it is cooked in large amounts of oil or butter. It is best to consume it in moderation and to make sure it is prepared with minimal oil or butter.
How to remove bitterness from palak paneer?
- Blanch the spinach: Boil a pot of water and add the spinach to it. Cook for 2-3 minutes and then immediately transfer the spinach to a bowl of ice water. This will help remove any bitterness from the spinach.
- Cook the spinach with spices: Add a few spices to the spinach while cooking, such as cumin, coriander, and ginger. These spices will help to neutralize any bitterness in the spinach.
- Add a little sugar or honey: A small amount of sugar or honey can help to balance out any bitter flavors in the spinach.
- Use fresh spinach: Make sure you are using fresh spinach, as old or wilted spinach can have a stronger bitter flavor.
- Add yogurt: Adding yogurt or cream to the dish can help to counterbalance any bitter flavors in the spinach.
- Cook for a shorter time: Cook the spinach for a shorter time to prevent it from becoming too bitter.
- Use a different type of spinach: Some varieties of spinach are less bitter than others. Try using baby spinach or Malabar spinach instead of regular spinach.
Is palak paneer good for weight loss?
Palak paneer can be a healthy option for weight loss as it is low in calories and high in protein and fiber. The spinach in Palak paneer is a good source of vitamins and minerals, and the paneer (cottage cheese) provides a good source of protein.
However, it is important to note that the dish is often made with added oils and heavy cream, which can add a significant amount of calories. To make it a healthier option for weight loss, it is best to use less oil and cream, or opt for a non-dairy alternative like coconut milk or yogurt. Additionally, pairing palak paneer with a serving of whole grains such as quinoa or brown rice can help to keep you feeling full and satisfied for longer.
What are the ingredients of paneer?
The main ingredient in paneer is milk. Other ingredients may include lemon juice or vinegar (used to curdle the milk) and salt. Some recipes may also include herbs and spices such as cumin or coriander for added flavor.